How many of us have tried dieting during COVID-19? Maybe you have made some intentional changes to your eating habits, using only fresh ingredients and natural foods. Or perhaps, you have added an exercise routine.
Now it’s time to put your house on a diet. During the past few months at home you may have sampled some trendy or crash diets in your house. Is it possible that you went all Marie Kondo on your sock drawer? Or, have you minimalized your kitchen utensils? Did you do the 50-hangers closet purge?
If you are like me – on Facebook more than once a day – you’ve seen pictures of your friends’ piles of clothes or decorative items they are either selling or donating to a local charity. But is there a better way? According to the ‘Nesting Place’, there are five things people with tidy homes don’t do:
- Tidy people don’t act like a slob all day, and then get their house tidy in one fell swoop.
- Tidy people don’t run out of cleaning supplies.
- Tidy people don’t let the sun go down on their filth.
- Tidy people don’t store things on the floor.
- Tidy people don’t over decorate.
CLICK HERE to read more.
So, if you accept the comparison that a “tidy” house is like a “fit” body, these tips are similar to maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine. But what if it’s too late for that? Finding motivation to get your house tidy is a very personal journey, but here is an article with ten “tricks” that I thought just might work for me:
- Play music – I enjoy classical music, so using a streaming service on TV or Alexa or Spotify I would ask it to play either by composer or genre. For you, it might be rock and roll or even heavy metal to get you going!
- Set a timer – it doesn’t have to be a long time – twenty minutes can get you through picking up one room!
- Put just one thing back in its rightful place.
- Reward yourself – wine perhaps?
- Do one small task a day.
- Have a friend come over to help. (and bring wine?)
- Acknowledge your weakness.
- Try a new cleaning product.
- Use a trigger. The article will help with some suggestions on this. CLICK HERE
- Invite visitors. This one definitely motivates me. Plan a party, or even coffee with a friend, and you will automatically get into a cleaning mood to show your house at its best!
And… if you get stuck, or need some EXTRA help, you can call us at Golden Bridges!
Susan Scholz, Partner